Thursday, April 8, 2010

I have been hesitant to spread the good news, but....

Here's the good news... no it's GREAT news!! We went to the hospital for 6 days total with a 4 day break in between. Dray was on IV steroids for 9 doses each stay. When he was on steroids orally he was on 2 mg/kilo, but on the IV steroids it was 20 mg/kilo.... huge difference in dosage. But, they did an EEG on our last night there, and the continuous spike wave pattern was broken. Seizure activity reduced by 90%. I was really excited, but since it was done on a night when he was on such high doses and he would be going home to a much reduced oral dose. I was hesitant to really believe we could celebrate. But, I just got the EEG results from this past weekend (April 2), and his EEG looked just as good, a little better even.

The good news for all of you is that you don't have to hear my complaining and ranting this time, and I can celebrate Dray's little victory. This isn't by far over for him, but we have reached a MAJOR milestone in all of this. I know how many of you pray for Dray continually... thank you. I also have to write about my amazing parents, and parents-in-law. My mom and dad do whatever needs to be done to make sure my life is just that much better through all of this. The hours they put in watching kids while we are at the hospital with Dray is such a blessing. My mother-in-law, Carol, came to Utah for a total of 3 weeks to help me out. If you know Carol I don't need to say too much about what a great help she is. She is relentless in her helpfulness... in a good way, of course. My two brothers (Rex and Aaron) came from Texas to be here for help, support, and to spend time with the kids during this crazy time. That was so awesome.... the kids loved it!! We continually pray that this will stay, that he will gradually keep improving, and we can soon enjoy Dray more than we already do. He really is a crowd pleaser, such an amazing child. Well, I hope I have expressed gratitude enough for this wonderful news and to wonderful people that I love!!

3 comments:

  1. Awesome news Kerri....We are so grateful for this wonderful blessing in your lives! Each little step is HUGE! Thanks for sharing! C

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah DRAY!!! We're so glad there is much improvement. It was so great to see his sweet little face last week, I sure wish we were closer. Missing you guys tons. Give Dray and extra big hug and kiss for us:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a speech therapy major and just found your blog while studying for my national board. Thank you for sharing your story. It has given me a greater appreciation for the struggles you are going through as a parent of a beautiful child who is fighting a communication battle. CONGRATULATIONS on the good news!!! I'll keep Dray and your family in my prayers and hope that he will see many more gains!

    ReplyDelete